new industry trends.
- Supercapacitors vs. Batteries – A short primer
- Why $/kwhr is not the right way to evaluate supercapacitor cost
- No cold or hot issues with Amperics Ultracaps
- Amperics in Light Electric Vehicles
- New Product Offering from ADOMANI (R) Integrates Amperics Supercapacitors into Starter Modules for Commercial Fleet Vehicles
Amperics in Light Electric Vehicles
Short range, rapid charging requirements are the characteristic criteria
Light Electric Vehicles take 2-4 people or an equivalent amount of cargo short distances(5-10 km) General use cases of light electric vehicles arena golf carts, fork lifts, auto-rickshaws(tuk-tuks), electric wheel chairs etc.
Currently, all of these vehicles are powered either by lead acid batteries or more recently Li Ion technology. The long charge time(hours instead of less than 5 mins) of batteries, whether lead acid or li ion requires
- Complex logistics of swapping out batteries while they are depleted
- Additional cost of batteries to swap out.
- Increased available storage(10X) as it has to last an entire day/shift.
- Complex charging/monitoring capabilities for state of charge and end of life issues.
- Safety and/or disposal considerations.
The use of Amperics supercapacitor technology delivers a more logistically effective, cleaner, safer and lower cost alternative.
Take a case study of a forklift that has to be used for 8 hours per shift.
For a case of
- Standard 1kw, 12V DC motor is used in this application or about 80A.
- Average time of use is 10 mins
- Average wait time between use is 4 mins.
This would require
- 8kwhr or a 660 AHr battery which is to be swapped out every 8 hours.
- For a 24 hour use case it would require 3 such batteries or a total of 24 kwhr!!
- Batteries need to be replaced every 18 to 24 months
- Thermal management is a concern
In contrast, an Amperics supercapacitor solution would have
- *500 whr* of storage. Period. A total of 60X lower!
- It would charge from a standard 220V outlet without any special charging infrastructure.
- Warranties of 10 years. Will last longer.
- Operates over -40C to +65C without any loss of performance
- No safety issues.
As the above case study elucidates, light EVs in short range applications is one in which Amperics supercapacitor technology is cheaper, safer and logistical more effective than alternative applications.